Visit us on ...
(401) 919-5579 (617) 797-0029
OCEAN STATE POWDER COATING
HOURS: M - F 8:30am - 4:30pm
SAT 8:30am - 1:00pm
WHERE QUALITY AND SUPERIOR FINISH MATTER MOST
Process Powder coating is an advanced method of applying a decorative and protective finish to a wide range of materials and products, for many industries and the customer who wants to change it up a bit. The powder used is sprayed onto a surface to be coated. The charged powder particles adhere to the electrically grounded surfaces until heated and fused into a smooth coating in a curing oven. The result is a uniform, durable, high-quality and attractive finish.
Powder coatings are applied using a specialized spray gun. This is similar to the way dust sticks to your television screen, except that we supercharge the powder, causing the coating to stick to the desired parts. Powder exits the spray gun in a fog like fashion and is attracted to the positive (grounded) part and then the powder is 'pulled' to that part. The advantage is the fog reaches all recessed areas, providing a more complete and uniform layer, which results in a smooth finish typically without the runs, sags, light spots, etc., that can occur with wet paint.
Powder coating gives consumers, businesses, hobbyists, and industry one of the most economical, longest-lasting and color-durable quality finishes available. Surfaces are resistant to chipping, scratching, fading and wearing. Color selection is nearly unlimited with high and low gloss, metallic and clear finishes available. Texture selections range from smooth to wrinkled, matte finish, and rough textures which are excellent for hiding surface imperfections. Ideal for parts subjected to high temperatures; such as engine or exhaust components... and no polishing is ever needed.
Benefits Since its introduction almost 40 years ago, powder coating has become the fastest growing finishing technology. Finishing engineers working with a vast array of products have switched from liquid finishing to powder coating, as a way to produce a durable, high-quality finish. This has helped to maximize production, improve efficiency, and comply with environmental regulations. Many problems inherent in liquid finishing are reduced or eliminated in the powder-coating process. Liquid finishing uses solvents which require venting, filtering and recovery systems to control volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions. Power coating uses NO solvents and emits negligible VOC's into the environment. Since dry powder is used, up to 98% of the overspray is easily retrieved and re-used. Waste is minimal and easily disposed of. Powder-coating is a green industry... a safer and cleaner finishing alternative! The process is environmentally friendly & virtually pollution free!
From Start to Finish here are our 9 steps to perfection:
1. Preparation: We require each piece to be disassembled before drop off (unless prior arrangements have been made). We require each piece is de-greased to remove residue grease, oil, and dirt from the piece. Once we confirm the piece is clean and dried, we then sandblast each piece to remove old paint, rust and prepare the surface for coating. Blasting creates a uniform surface to assure good adhesion & constant powder flow. Note: There may be additional fees for parts delivered that are not clean and or de-greased.
2. Media mask: Any area on the part with machined surfaces, studs or threaded holes will be masked or plugged off to protect them from the blasting and powder coating process.
3. Washing or Air dusting: Parts are washed and or dusted with a high-pressure hot water washing/air hose, to ensure that the item is clean and free of any contaminants.
4. Rack: Parts are placed on and secured to the rack, and then moved to the oven department.
5. Pre Bake: Parts are pre-baked in the oven a few degrees hotter than the temperature needed to cure the powder once it gets applied. This process is called outgassing which bakes out any oil contaminates or gases due to the porosity of the metal. Not all parts need to be pre-baked. If needed we will instruct you of this process prior to drop off.
6. Powder Application: The rack with parts attached are then placed in the powder booth and electrically grounded for powder coating. Using the powder gun, the powder is electrically charged and attaches to the part being coated. Parts are then inspected for coverage. II Stage powders: II stages take a few extra steps from the powder booth to the oven to do this process.
7. Cure: The racked parts are placed in an oven for curing and the final cross-linking of the powder to substrate.
8. Cooling Down: Parts are removed from the oven, allowed to cool down de-masked and are finally inspected.
9. Pickup or Ship: Once parts are cooled down and inspected they are ready for pickup or packaged and shipped out to the customer.
Copyright 2018 Ocean State Powder Coating. All rights reserved.